Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What I love about Sassy

I'm going to do a new thing here....the next 5 posts will be about one of my horses specifically. I will talk about my favorite things about them, their story with me, etc. This post is for...*drumroll*
SASSY!!!! If you couldn't tell by the title...

Sassy was born in April, 2007, a beautiful chesnut filly with a big, bright star. I was originally going to name her Jessi, after my friend Jessica who was spending the night at my house when she was born. Then it went to Pancake, then to Sputnik, then she kicked me when she was 4 days old, and Sassy stuck. Sassy has always been a trouble maker. When she was about 2 weeks old, Dream was getting her feet done and Sassy was running around the barn. She slipped on the concrete and kicked the ferriers tools everywhere. When she was a year, she fell in our underground pool, and almost gave my grandma a heart attack.

Good things about Sassy:
Bombproof
Not mare-ish
Never tries to agrivate another horse at drill
Doesn't kick
Very curious
Soft mouthed
Great stamina
Easiest horse to bathe
Loves water!!!
Great barrel conformation with color to boot
Fast!!!

Bad:
Not the worlds greatest feet
Seems to get hurt a lot
Other horses get irritated with her "cuddles"
She ripped her tail out
Rubbed her mane out
I'm still fixing my hard hands, so sometimes soft mouth = accidental rear.
Likes to get in the water troughs and kill the fish
Has a thing about getting hurt
If she were to ever have a foal, we would have to cut her open to get the foal out...talk about that in a min.
There is a reason we named her Sassy. Nuff said.

Sassy's whole birthing issue is quite interesting. I came outside one day before school to feed, and Sassy was walking bowlegged. I found blood on her back legs, and I looked at her "lady part". It was red, bloody, and cut open at the bottom. I called my mom, who was in Colorado, and she called the vet to come look at it. Sassy got 8 stitches, turns out she ripped a two square inch section off her..lady part. It healed very well, and you can't see the scar unless you look inside of her. The vet was very suprised with how well it healed, but she would still need to be cut open for the proper room for a foal.

Repo, Peyton's filly, and Sassy. They are both the same age, and both rose greys. Look at the contrast in their grey staging though!!! Repo is a Thoroughbred, and Sassy is 1/4 Thoroughbred, 3/4 Quarter Horse.

Can I please have that cracker???

Sassy is truely an amazing horse, and I really don't think I would have seen her full potential if it wasn't for Charles Black. He really helped me with her! After really looking over what she is good at, and what she is built and bred to do, I really think she could excell at barrel racing. She's got big eyes, big nostrils, big hip, strong legs, some cowyness and a easy to flex neck. I really can't wait to get her going on something she will be able to prove. She may not be registered (She can be, but the owner of the stud wasn't the actual owner like he said he was), but she can kick butt!!!!

2 comments:

  1. She's very pretty. I love her colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling us about her? I am awaiting the next installment!

    ReplyDelete