Monday, June 6, 2011

Mulesss!

I have always, secretly, wanted a mule.
Infact, I almost cried when I found out Rosie wasn't pregnant to a donkey a few weeks before we bought her.


They are smart.
They have AWESOME LOOKING EARS. No really? Never would have guessed.
Did I mention smart?

I like playing around on the computer, researching different equine things. I always come back to mules.
Mule racing.
Mule babies.
Mule breeding.
Mules mules mules.

This blog really has no point, i'm just going to randomly write about mules, because I have nothing better to do until it's time to pick up my boyfriend from work and GET MY VERY FIRST PAYCHECK!! YAY!:)

I love how when mules run, they tuck their tails in...it's kinda cute!
When I grow up..I want a barrel racing mule. I haven't seen any extremely well trained barrel mules, and I'd love to do it. I'm not sure if they are as fast as a horse, but it would still be fun.

I found out that YES, mule mares can infact, have babies. Mules and mules can't be bred together, but a mule and a horse can.
Look at those funny legs on that guy!

Mules know exactly where their feet are. Watch this video, I found it pretty entertaining. However, I'd be scared to do some of this stuff without proper leg protection for my equine friend, but splint boots get covered in stickers on trails. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1sfDlLluJY&feature=related

Somewhere I read that mules do not show the overo gene. I have never even seen an overo mule, come to think of it. They come in pretty much every color out their, my favorite is bay with high white socks and a white tail.
Bay mule tobiano foal. Ain't he adorable?

Mules have both the donkey and horse survival instincts. Many people consider mules to be "stubborn", but it's kind of a natural thing they get from donkeys. If a donkey was walking alone, in a canyon at night, and something spooked him, he would freeze, so he wouldn't run off a cliff. I read about a guy riding him mule through the woods at night. He couldn't see anything and his mule randomly stopped. He decided they had gone far enough, so he set up camp. When he awoke the next morning, he was litterally feet from a huge cliff. Another time I read about some guys on a hunting trip, they came across a cougar, and one of the mules threw it's rider, attacked the cougar and killed it.
Mule gelding attacking a cougar.



Don't know what it is...but Dream just can't stand mules..

This is my uncle's mule, Jack. He is about 28 in this picture. He has severe problems in his hind legs, which prevents him from being riden, but he still runs along the trail with everyone else.

1 comment:

  1. Well of course you know I'd respond. I was raised with horses but got introduced to mules 16 yrs ago.

    Haven't looked back yet. I've raised quite a few and trained them too, they are in fact awesome!

    ReplyDelete