Thursday, August 4, 2011

I've spread myself thin across the asphalt.

That just sounded like a cool title:P

But really, I have. I've tried too hard to get myself in too many equine activities. I'm with the OkFQHR and the Freedom Riders, but I also try to be apart of the Oklahom Family Equestrains (a trail riding group) and do barrels on Wednesday. And not to mention being rodeo princess for the Tuttle Round Up Club.
I can't do all this anymore.

In a year, I will be in college. I've already started planning things out the best I can, and as my mom said, I've spread myself too thin. I try to put myself into different activities and diciplens, and at this point I have become to specialized. I was going to have Dream for just poles, Sassy for just barrels, Dusty just for cow events, and Rosie for just drill and foundation shows.

Tonight at the rodeo, I entered in barrels. Really, I feel I entered it as a last resort to tell myself to give it up..barrels just don't work for me anymore. I'm tired of competing with snobish brats on $25,000 horses that they flat out don't deserve. I love going fast, and I love turning hard, but I'm not going to be able to compete at any level in it, there is no doubt about that. My parents aren't flithy rich, I'm not spoiled (for the most part LOL), and I don't have the horses that are up to that calliber.
Rosie wasn't flexing around the turns, we hit a barrel (never happened to me), and she just seemed off.
It was a cue for me.

I'm thinking about starting team sorting. That's something all my horses (except Dream, since she has never seen a cow lol and Rebel...duh) could be really great at, not just one of them. I'd still do side things with them, but not as much as I do now. I like having an all around horse, but I'd rather have 3 horses that are great at the same job. And, as for Dream, when I go to college I am putting her up for lease. There is no way I could sell my first horse. She's a PERFECT canidate for a lease, she just needs a little tweaking here and there and would be amazing at any direction you point her in. Personaly, I'd love to get into hunter/jumper, but, that would just be one more thing to add to my plate. See how this works for me now?! Lol!

I'm loving this picture of me and Dream!!!

As much as I want to, I am feeling that it is time for me to give up Rebel. I need to give us both the chance to expand. He will always be my baby bear, but he could become some other little girls baby bear too..:( With this massive hay shortage, I just can't keep 5 horses over the winter. I'm going to make sure he goes to the PERFECT home. I'm not giving him away, well, maybe I am, but I'm not shoving him out. I don't think I could last one month without him following me step for step....

1 comment:

  1. Eek gads, if I were looking for a horse, it sounds like Rebel would have been perfect.

    I'm glad that you are able to come to the wise decision of making sure you can keep what you can afford to.

    I am into mules, but you know that,...my project mules currently are at 3 and I ride 6 to keep them in shape.

    Oh yes, I changed to mules 'cuz I couldn't deal with the filthy rich folks showing their horses.

    Alas, they are trying to make mules into that very same thing now.

    I prefer the trails and relaxation now.
    But endurance riding again next year...on a mule.

    ReplyDelete