Monday, May 16, 2011

What I love about Rebel!

I went on a random road trip yesterday. We woke up at 6:30 and drove about 2 hours to Jet, Oklahoma to dig up crystals in the salt plains. We got a lot of really cool ones!!! My dad did the same thing when he was little with his dad, and we buried some of my grandpa's hair in a hole we dug :')
Then, when I got home Peyton invited me on a trail ride. His friend, Cody picked me up with his old pick up and gooseneck stock trailer. Sassy is much bigger than cows, and had some issues fitting, so we had to do one of my no-no's and leave her untied, but she would've hurt herself if she had gotten tangled up. I really like how Cody drives with a trailer. Much smoother and calmer than my dad. My dad doesn't have an issue stopping for a light; with Cody we had to slowly run three red lights because they changed juuust at the right moment to where we couldn't make a safe stop with the trailer. Sassy did really good on the trail ride. She is very competitive I found out..Repo is NOT allowed to beat her at a race..It started off between me and Peyton "I bet my horse can walk faster than yours" then he started trotting, so Sassy did. They Repo picked up a lope, so did Sassy, then we just flew down the clear stretch of the trail :D It was awesome.

I sat on Rebel a few days ago (don't freak out at me, the vet said I can do that lol). It felt really nice being up that tall, and he gently walked around the pasture. I noticed something about his shoulder. The one that he hurt, and also doesn't use as much, is slightly concave when looking at it from above. But the right one, it's much thicker and built.
I pretty much told Peyton that Rebel is his if his parent's get his settlement. Peyton really loves Rebel, and well, Rebel loves anyone that will pet him. He mainly likes him because he is a big "doughball" and "goofball" and has that "duhhh" look about him. But he still loves him:)

So, this week it's REBEL's turn!!!:)

Mango died the week of Thanksgiving on a Monday, so I didn't go to school. It was a two day week so Tuesday was my last day for the week. On the way home from school, my mom told me about a horse that my uncle Terry had told me about. He was a paint gelding, and he just turned 4, that's all she knew. She said she knew it was way too early to be thinking about getting another horse and she knew that the hole from Mango was not going to fill any time soon, but maybe this horse could keep my mind on something else. We went and looked at him that saturday. He hadn't been touched by people in almost 2 years. He was a little thin, his feet a tad overgrown, but overall he looked really good. And TALL. I was excited that I could finally show paints with my friend Miche'la, but I was still set on Mango. We brought Rebel home for $500. I worked him on things as much as I knew how, but he needed an advanced trainer, severely. So I worked him to extent of my level, never trying too hard to push things on him that I didn't know how to properly do. Rebel was terrified of everything. I slowly and slowly got better with him, and through all of his health ups and downs, he always pulled through, until the bad knews, which I don't want to go through on the fact I'm already on the verge of tears..

Pro's:
This is literally the SWEETEST horse you will ever meet. My vet loooves him.
He tries his hardest
Stands still through the first half of his bath
Good for the ferrier so long as the wind isn't blowing
A generaly easy keeper
Loooves to run and play!
You don't have to worry about keeping him in shape. He does that himself.
Rebel is just a big, beautiful, goofy horse
He suure is fast!
Photogenic!!!
Loves to have his ears scratched.

Con's:
The obvious that he can't be riden.
Can't be shown in showmanship due to the limp.
His two front feet very greatly in siz, shape and degree due to the fact that he uses one leg more than the other
VERY spooky. He is a yummy horse and everything wants to eat him.
His akward favorite spot is his bellybutton. Everyone knows what that is close to on a male horse. Nuff said.
For some odd reason...he does not like the end rinsing off part of the bath. Everything else is cool, just not getting all the dirt off of him.


One of my favorite pictures:)

My friend Kasey riding Rebel...she looks kinda weird here, but that stupid saddle would throw you forward really bad.

Rebel and Dusty playing in the snow!!!

I love this horse to death..this horse is my baby. I never thought I would have to get rid of him, and I think I will be able to keep him until winter. I know it's bad to hold on to something that you must let go, but so many things have gone wrong in my life this past year, with the drama with the family, my grandpa passing away, not being able to ride Rebel, and what not that when I need a place to run, it's always to him. Rebel is like my solid foundation that I keep myself tied too. He may be poison for my heart, but I like the taste...

No comments:

Post a Comment