Friday, May 27, 2011

What I love about Dusty!!!!

Today was my last day as a Junior in highschool. I AM FINALLY A SENIOR!! I THOUGHT I'D NEVER MAKE IT THIS FAR!!! I'M SOOO HAPPY! :D It was an amazing last day, and I had a lot of fun. I go back to work on Sunday, so I have today and tomorrow all to myself.
When I got home after school today, I bogged around on facebook for a while then went and decided to saddle up little Mr. Dusty. He is a little over two now, and it's my goal place in the OkFQHR Stakes 2-Yo Pleasure with him:) Excited! Dusty did AMAZING for his first ride. I've done lots of work with him previously, like saddling him up, sitting on him, etc. He learned to give to the bit on the first try, so that was pretty easy for him. He learned soooo quick today, and by the end of our 10 minute ride he was walking and trotting circles, backing up and even trying to pivot!

For three years, the OkFQHR has had an essay contest for the youth. The youth member that participated in the essay and had the most LEAP points, won one of the Mulder Ranch foals, sired by San Dunit Two Peppy. I worked long and hard in 2009 to get up my LEAP points, through different 4H and OkFQHR shows and volunteering at the shows and what-not. I don't really remember what my essay was about, but I believe it was over the "Unwanted Horse" issue. I was sitting at school and I got a message from Kasey's mom saying "YOU WON!! YOU WON!!!" and I just about passed out. I ran to the office and called my mom, and she was just as happy as I was. The Mulder's called me up to go look at the foals, and I had my choice of 2 colts and a filly. They were about 6 months old and had never had any contact. I watched Bret Mulder get all three of them used to human touch, and he had an amazing perception of what each one's personality was like. The colt I liked, a tank of a sorrel, was just...dull. I couldn't get over his good looks though! I knew I wanted a colt, I already had 3 mares. The other colt was built like a funny Paso Fino, nothing like his brother and sister. He was much taller, and had way more personality then the other two. You could almost see him challenging Bret and he got used to the halter. I thought long and hard about it, and I finally talked myself into the funny little dunalino colt, and I am sooo glad I did. He might not have the good looks of most Foundation Quarter Horses, but he can one up them on one thing...brains. This colt learns so quickly. Once he learns it, it's there forever. He tries his hardest at everything, and even though he gets pushy sometimes, he is a total sweety. He loves to be scratched and loved on. He is just bound to be an awesome horse:)

*Sorry, these pictures kinda suck...my computer is being an idiot :(

Pro's:
First thing that my farrier ever said about him: "He's got really good feet!!"
Easy to bathe
Picks things up really quickly
Very playful with Rebel and keeps himself in shape
Really pretty coloring and is showing all the dun characteristics except for the shoulder bars
Very sweet, in your pocket horse.

Con's:
Second thing that my farrier ever said about him: "He's pushy!"
Doesn't believe in being clean.
Has personal space issues. He was born first, like Bret said, and grew up pushing the other babies around.
Not the greatest conformation...cough.....cough...
The dun qualities keep him out of the Palomino Association:(
The palomino part of him keeps him out of the Buckskin/Dun association. UGH.


Playing jump rope, and he never flinched!

Don't know what it is....but Dusty just LOVES Peyton...

Dusty right after a bath!!!

Dusty is a really great horse, even if he does look like a crack baby. He is still growing into himself and I'm giving him time to grow, not pushing anything on him. The show is in October, so I have plenty of time. I'm not sure yet what I have planned for him, but hopefully his 4 year old year, I will be able to take him to the AQHA World Show:)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on becoming a senior. :-) I have been enjoying this series very much. You have some wonderful horses.

    ReplyDelete